Chill, Chat, Collide

Join our friendly community where your interests can be shared, expressed, and enjoyed!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chill, Chat, Collide

Join our friendly community where your interests can be shared, expressed, and enjoyed!

Chill, Chat, Collide

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly community where you can share your interests and enjoy talking about them with others.

2 posters

Book Suggestions

Kuroryou
    Kuroryou

Book Suggestions Empty Book Suggestions

Post  Kuroryou Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 pm

I think the topic is self explanatory. But don't just give a title of a book and expect us to go read it. Give us a summary (NO SPOILERS) and a reason why you like the book so much that you want to share it with the rest of us.
    Please tell us the genre. Some people prefer certain genres over others.

Also, don't give us titles of famous/popular books. e.g. Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Romeo and Juliet, Twilight *shudders*

Please do not bash other people for their suggestions.

Title:
    Author:
    Genre:
    Summary (No spoilers):
    Reason why I like this book:

Last edited by Kuroryou on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kuroryou
    Kuroryou

Book Suggestions Empty The Hunger Games

Post  Kuroryou Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Going to start this off with a book I just finish about an hour ago.

Title: The Hunger Games
    Author: Suzanne Collins
    Genre: Sci-fiction, Young Adult
    Summary (No spoilers): The story takes place after the apocalypse in North America. So every year, there are these Hunger Games take place. A boy and a girl is chosen by lottery from the age 12-18 from all 12 districts. It's pretty much a fight to the death where only one winner emerges and these games provide entertainment to the wealthy people living in the Capitol and serve as a reminder to the 12 districts that they will never have a successful rebellion against the Capitol.
    Reason why I like this book: The Hunger Games has an enjoyable plot although it sounds similar to Battle Royale, but this book is great for a leisure read. The first person point of view is something I don't like because sometimes it just focuses on the main character but it's done well enough that I got a sense of what the other characters are like.

Last edited by Kuroryou on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    Karmelita
    Karmelita
    Inexplicably Happy
    Inexplicably Happy

Location : Hiding around the corner, a bottle of Febreeze in my hand.

Book Suggestions Empty Re: Book Suggestions

Post  Karmelita Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 am

o_o no one else reads books? Okay then, I guess I'll recommend something...

Title:
    The Lions of Al-Rassan
    Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
    Genre: Historical Fantasy
    Summary (No spoilers): In the peninsula of Al-Rassan, three religions are prominent: the indulgent Asharites, the warring Jaddites and the peaceful Kindath. Despite the religious differences threatening to tear the peninsula apart, three very different people (Ammar ibn Khairan, the Asharite poet/diplomat; Rodrigo Belmonte, the Jaddite war captain; and Jehane bet Ishak, the Kindath physician) manage to become friends and experience various hardships together, even though their brethren are at odds with one another.
    Reason why I like this book: Aside from the fact that the story mirrors what happened in the Iberian peninsula in the Middle Ages (Iberian peninsula = Spain and Portugal today), it's an epic story that shows three very different people from three very different cultures who are able to work together and be friends despite how their respective cultures think and act towards one another. Considering how racism is still alive and prevalent today, despite all our social advances, reading stories like this just make me smile, knowing that there are people who can look past your culture and see the person. The ending is also very bittersweet in the sense that you feel satisfied with how the conflict (kind of) ended, but you still feel sad for what was lost. (I actually picked up this book the same day my 3-month old cousin passed away unexpectedly, so it left a profound impact on me)

Sponsored content

Book Suggestions Empty Re: Book Suggestions

Post  Sponsored content